Tuesday, October 26, 2010

This is the learning as I go part

I did not plan on blogging again today, but I am upset and wanted to share something that I just learned.

My kiddos have a problem with cavities.  Sometimes I get frustrated with them thinking they are not taking care of their teeth like they should be.  I've bought the fun toothbrushes, toothpastes, bright colored and funny shaped floss and cool mouthwash.  The pediatric dentist that I was taking the girls to was also concerned about their teeth so he suggested more rinses and brush on gels for them.

I've noticed in the last month or so that the girls teeth seemed to be getting darker.  One kiddo has more of a grayish color and one more of a brownish color.  Now what - I wonder.  I again focus more on good brushing and doing so more often.

I was reading someone else's concern about fluoride on Facebook this morning and that lead me to read some articles that were posted.  Which lead me to pull up pics and GUESS WHAT - My girls have Dental Fluorosis.  Dental Fluorosis is a health condition caused by a child receiving too much fluoride during tooth development.

So all of that extra fluoride to help with cavities actually is causing tooth discoloration.  And the more I read about fluoride, the more I wonder how it is affecting them in ways that I cannot see.  So, as I make my way down the knowledge trail towards all things more natural, I am in search of a toothpaste that not only does not contain fluoride, but also none of the other yucky chemicals that we should not be ingesting.  Looks like Bert's Bees has a good one.  I'll keep you posted.  :)    

2 comments:

  1. Stephanie, it could also have something to do with their genetics. Us Europeans suffer a bit with tooth discoloration. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could be. But, as a follow up to this blog, I did find a Bert's Bees with no flouride that the girls are using now. However, the more that I research, the more I find that the best thing to do is to make it yourself. And, I may just do that.

    ReplyDelete