Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Coconut Oil - It's called a Miracle

Ever heard of Coconut Oil?  It's relatively new to me.  There is actually a book called "The Coconut Oil Miracle."  Let me tell you about this miracle.  It is called the perfect food. When taken as a supplement, used in cooking, or applied directly to the skin, coconut oil has been found to: Promote weight loss; Help protect against heart disease, cancer, diabetes, arthritis, and many other degenerative diseases; Strengthen the immune system; Improve digestion; and Prevent premature aging of the skin.  Wow!

So how do you use it, you might ask. There are many ways to use coconut oil and incorporate it into your diet. Since it is a stable cooking oil, you can simply replace unhealthy oils in your diet with coconut oil. Since it is a solid most of the time at room temperature or when refrigerated, it can be a butter or margarine substitute for spreads or for baking. It can be mixed in with “smoothies.” Many people do eat  it simply by the spoon full. If you refrigerate or freeze Virgin Coconut Oils the taste changes completely, and some describe it like a “candy” or “white chocolate.”  Some people use it in their coffee or tea. I put 3 tbsp in my green smoothie today.  It gave it a mild coconut flavor. 

Then there are the external uses.  Coconut oil is an excellent massage oil for the skin. It acts as an effective moisturizer on all types of skin.  Coconut oil is a safe solution for preventing dryness. It also delays wrinkles, and sagging skin. Coconut oil also helps in treating various skin problems including psoriasis, eczema, and dermatitis.

So go out and get some!  They have little jars at the grocery store.  I got a very large jar at the Health Food Store.  I am excited about using more of this little miracle!

2 comments:

  1. Great blog! I too am a nutrition enthusiast, no microwave (regarding that post) and we try to eat as fresh and local and seasonally appropriate as possible.

    Coconut oil is totally awesome. I started using in when I was breast feeding as I had read that it helps with the milk supply. It did as well as help me with my life long battle with DRY skin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thnx for reading and for the comment Theresa! I am so excited to be learning about all of these new things. We always hear about the bad stuff, I want to share info on the good stuff!

    ReplyDelete